Mack The Knife …………………….
Well the Florida Gators when the chances were there to put the game ( 74-71 ) away the Butler Bull Dogs simply outplayed the Gators as Brad Stevens’ — team make their second consecutive Final Four in the NCAA Tournament .
Slide show for your perusal.
Destiny was there for the Bull Dogs’ as Shelvin Mack literally stuck the dagger in the backs of the Gators and having impaled Billy Donovan’s team , Mack and his teammates turned and stuck that knife even deeper into the wound as the Gator’s hopes bled incessantly with no way of stopping the flow. Along with that win it now adds further legitimacy as to what Butler has done and in particular it makes the young Brad Stevens perhaps an even hotter prospect as a potential candidate for a NBA — coaching position should one become vacant this offseason within the NBA .
This game was as exciting as one would expect and a thriller it turned out to be but at the same time would one say that Butler was a team of destiny ? Or did they simply to their strengths while the Florida Gators fall apart under the mountain of expectations albeit that may well have been the perception of their rabid and vociferous fans ? These are the questions that may well be asked and are still to be answered over the course of the next few days. And while I’ve no doubt that to their credit the Gators under Billy Donovan overachieved with this team . The players to their credit can certainly take something away from this defeat but at the same I don’t think that they can hide the disappointment of this loss and what it meant to them as player but also the Gators’ fans up and down the country.
From my own perspective this tournament has been one to be appreciated from all perspectives but this much I do know seeing the Duke Blue Devils — fall (93-77) to the Arizona Wildcats was enough for me to know that this wasn’t to be Mike Krzyzewski’s year to win his fourth national title . So 2012 becomes a another year and another chance to aspire to add to his legacy and that of the Blue Devils’ program.
For Billy Donovan I can’t help but feel sorry for coach and his team as they were never really expected to get this far much less competing with this much competitiveness during the tournament . And for Donovan having won consecutive titles in 2006 and 2007 the coach was seeking to win his third title overall with the Florida Gators. This has been a spectacular run by the coach , this program and what it has done for the school in terms of the publicity gained .
As to the remainder of the tournament the berths have now been set with regard to the Final Four and the teams now chasing collegiate basketball immortality. It has to be said that each of the participants left are deserving of their fate and whatever they achieve from hereon in has to be seen as an added bonus for those teams and their respective fans across the country. Collegiate basketball at the D1 level offers a spectacle unlike any other collegiate tournament presided over by the NCAA or BCS in terms of the FBS and their national championship. The BCS for all of its merits to my mind pales into insignificance in comparison to the NCAA Tournament. And inasmuch as fans across the country have been in awe of the BCS National Championship as a thrilling spectacle is something to appreciate but I for one believe that it elicits nowhere near as enough excitement as that of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament . College football may well be the more popular of the two sports by far of which there’s no denial but there’s every reason to believe that while over the course of the season it has the fans showing their passion for the game . This much we do know is that come time for the NCAA Tournament it grabs even the uninitiated amongst us and has in awe and appreciation for the game the teams and all of the excitement it brings .
Picture gallery for your perusal .
In terms of what you’ve witnessed during the tournament do you feel that it has lived up to your expectations and what if anything are you now expecting to see during the Final Fours and which teams do you expect to be playing for the national title ? Simply chime in with your thoughts on the matter and thanks as always for the continued support !
Alan aka tophatal ………………………..
Picture and slide show details
(1) Butler’s Alex Anglin holds up the Southeast Regional Trophy as the team is greeted by fans as they arrive at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Sunday, March 27, 2011. Butler defeated Florida, 74-71 , to advance to the Final Four. AP Photo/Darron Cummings ……..
(2) Butler head coach Brad Stevens talks to the fans that greeted the team at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Sunday, March 27, 2011. Butler defeated Florida, 74-71, to advance to the Final Four. AP Photo/Darron Cummings …..
(3) Erving Walker #11 of the Florida Gators fouls Matt Howard #54 as Chrishawn Hopkins #20 of the Butler Bulldogs tries to block his shot in the second half during the Southeast regional final of the 2011 NCAA men’s basketball tournament at New Orleans Arena on March 26, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images ………..
(4) Shelvin Mack #1 of the Butler Bulldogs reacts during their game against the Florida Gators in overtime of the Southeast regional final of the 2011 NCAA men’s basketball tournament at New Orleans Arena on March 26, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images ……..
(5) Shelvin Mack #1 of the Butler Bulldogs dunks against the Florida Gators during the Southeast regional final of the 2011 NCAA men’s basketball tournament at New Orleans Arena on March 26, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images ……
(6) Head coach Brad Stevens of the Butler Bulldogs celebrates defeating the Florida Gators 74 to 71 in overtime by cutting down part of the net during the Southeast regional final of the 2011 NCAA men’s basketball tournament at New Orleans Arena on March 26, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images ……
(7) Head coach Billy Donovan talks to Patric Young #4 of the Florida Gators during the second half of their game against the Butler Bulldogs in the Southeast regional final of the 2011 NCAA men’s basketball tournament at New Orleans Arena on March 26, 2011 in New Orleans, Louisiana. Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images ……
Games scheduled for Sunday 27th March to decide the final two berths
Already through to the Final Four ……… U Conn and Butler
Eye candy ………… Brooke Burke
Mase ……. feat’g Total …………………. “Tell Me What You Want From Me”
Fredro Starr ….. feat’g Jill Scott ………………. ” I See Your True Colors”